- FOR THE PIE:
- 1 whole Pie Crust, Store Bought Or Your Favorite 1 Crust Recipe
- 3 whole Egg Yolks
- 2 cups Milk
- 1-½ cup Sugar
- ⅓ cups Self-Rising Flour
- 2 Tablespoons (heaping Tablespoon) Cocoa
- 1 dash Salt
- ¾ whole Stick Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt. Pour mixture into a sauce pan and cook over medium to low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
Pour into an unbaked pie crust. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Let cool and top with meringue.
For the meringue: Mix cornstarch with 1/3 cup water in small saucepan; bring to simmer, whisking occasionally at beginning and more frequently as mixture thickens. When mixture starts to simmer and turn translucent, remove from heat. Let cool while beating egg whites.
Mix cream of tartar and sugar together. Beat egg whites and vanilla until frothy. Beat in sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time; until sugar is incorporated and mixture forms soft peaks. Add cornstarch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue to beat meringue to stiff peaks.
Spread or pipe meringue across the top of the pie and return to oven and bake until meringue peaks are golden brown – just a couple of minutes.
Refrigerate for 3 hours. Better if refrigerated overnight.