It’s a good idea to make homemade cough syrup when you aren’t sick so that you have it on hand when you need it. Depending on how bad your cough is, adults can take 1 or 2 tablespoons of the syrup every three or four hours as needed.
1/4 cup water
10 pieces peppermint candy
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup whiskey
1 cup honey
- Put 1 cup of water and 2 cups of hard peppermint candy in a saucepan and set it on the stove at medium heat.
- Stir the water and the candy continuously to help the candy dissolve in the water. Make sure the peppermint dissolves completely.
- Add 1 cup of lemon juice and stir into the water and peppermint.
- Add 2 cups of whiskey to the mixture and stir it in.
- Blend 4 cups of honey into the mixture.
- Keep stirring the syrup as it heats up. Once it starts to boil, let it boil lightly for 3 minutes.
- Using a funnel, pour the cough syrup into glass jars. Store in a cool, dry place.