Chocolate for breakfast? Oh Yes! These are delicious and very moist! And we can say they are healthy, no butter, no oil, and whole wheat flour. It is possible to get great tasting muffins without butter and oil. The bananas are paired with apple sauce, to replace the oil or butter in the recipe.
You must use super ripe, and super soft bananas. The more ripe bananas you have will give you better flavor and texture for your muffins. You can’t stop with just one!
- 3 large bananas
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Set aside.In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Mash them very well – no big lumps. Stir in the sugar, egg, and applesauce.
- Sift* the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder into the wet ingredients. Lightly mix to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups – fill them all the way to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
*Be sure to sift your dry ingredients together to avoid pockets of cocoa powder lumps.