Making Apple Butter is a great way to preserve the fruits of an apple harvest. Apple Butter is a wonderful way to greet fall.
Grab your crock pot and some apples, and follow this simple recipe for delicious apple butter.
Yield: 3 half Pints
6 to 8 large apples
1 1/4 cups apple cider
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Peel, core and chop apples, add to slow cooker.
2. Add cider, sugar and spices.
3. Cook on high until bubbly for 2 hours or so, until bubbly.
4. Reduce heat to low and cook 6-8 hours, stirring every hour. When done, the apple butter will have thickened and be a deep brown color.
5. For a smoother texture, blend to break down any remaining chunks of apple. (I use an immersion blender)