Growing up turnip greens were always on the table. My dad grows them every year, and now I do too, and we always have plenty for the freezer. I make sure I save a bag or two for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is my favorite way to cook them, they have lots of flavor!
- 1 quart bag turnip greens
- 1 fully cooked, smoked turkey leg
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- salt, pepper
If you’re using fresh greens, wash first. I’m using turnip greens I had in the freezer.
- In a large pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped onions & garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add in the chicken broth and the turkey leg. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for about 20-30 minutes. This helps the broth take on that delicious, smokey flavor!
- Add in the turnip greens. Cook on med-low heat until tender for about 45-60 minutes. I like to cut the meat off the bone and let it stay in the greens.